Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls' tour plans 'fizzled out'
Backstreet Boys star A.J. McLean has admitted that discussions for a joint tour between his group and the Spice Girls "kind of fizzled out".
Plans for a Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls joint tour "fizzled out", according to singer A.J. McLean.
The British girl group, Melanie Brown, Melanie Chisholm, Emma Bunton, Victoria Beckham, and Geri Horner (nee Halliwell), are said to be planning to mark the 20th anniversary of the release of their debut single Wannabe with a reunion tour. It had been rumoured that they could be joined on the road by the Backstreet Boys, but McLean admitted discussions for a potential team up had "kind of fizzled out".
"From what I've heard, they want to do their own tour. I think it's their 20th anniversary, we're back in the studio making a brand new album, so everyone's doing their own thing," he added during a interview with his bandmates Nick Carter, Brian Littrell, Howie Dorough and Kevin Richardson on 103.5 KTU's Cubby & Carolina show on Saturday (04Jun16).
His comments reflect what Brown, aka Mel B, had told Entertainment Tonight in a recent interview, when she said: "We want the stage to ourselves if we're going to do it!"
However, McLean hasn't given up hope that a Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys tour could happen at some point in the future.
"God willing, down the road, maybe it could happen. But as of right now it's not happening," he said. "They're doing their thing, we're focusing on our thing. But I think it would be something awesome if it did happen."
The boys were being interviewed ahead of their performance at the Miss USA beauty pageant in Las Vegas on Sunday night (05Jun16).
They delighted fans by choosing to perform one of their most-loved hits, As Long As You Love Me, prior to Miss District of Columbia Deshauna Barber being crowned the new Miss USA.
After finding huge success in the '90s, the Backstreet Boys are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. In fact, the five-piece may well capitalise on their return to the spotlight with a residency in Las Vegas.
Carter recently revealed that the group will soon hit the Vegas stage to test the fan response to an initial stretch of shows after signing a deal with promoters at Live Nation.
"If it does really well, then I think that'll open that door and then in future we'll do it (a longterm residency)," the 36-year-old told Entertainment Tonight. "So that's definitely going to happen but we're going to do a trial run first."
© Cover Media
Belfast Telegraph Digital