Belfast Telegraph

Barlow 'shocked' at X-Factor winner

X-Factor judge Gary Barlow has said he was "shocked" when viewers chose James Arthur to win last year's show.

The Take That star said the vote was proof that a "novelty act" will never win the hit ITV singing show, which returns later this month.

He said:"I do actually believe in the people that are voting to choose the right person. I was quite shocked that James Arthur won last time, not because he wasn't the best but because he is the best and was the best. I assumed a TV voting audience wouldn't vote for someone like that and they did - it really shows me that the right person will win this competition each time."

Arthur, whose debut single sold more than a million copies, releases his album later this year.

The new series starts at 8pm on Saturday on ITV1.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph