Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

BBC set to save The Voice

Published 14/10/2015

will.i.am
will.i.am

The BBC will reportedly announce they have secured the rights to air talent show The Voice for another three years.

(Cover) - EN TV - The BBC looks set to defy cost-cutting pressures by announcing a new deal for The Voice.

Rumours had been circulating the corporation had been ordered by the government to reduce its outgoings and that ITV was trying to steal the talent show. However, insiders now claim BBC bosses look set to re-sign The Voice despite offering less than the £55 million they paid for the first five series of the show.

According to Britain’s The Mirror newspaper, an announcement will be made on Wednesday (14Oct15) confirming that The Voice will remain on the BBC after it won the rights to air it from 2017-19.

This comes after its rivals ITV reportedly attempted to claim the series by matching the £11 million a year currently paid by the BBC. It had also offered to work on spin-offs of the show – which regularly attracts eight million viewers - including a version for children.

“We’d really like to hang on to The Voice,” a source told the newspaper. “It’s a brilliant show and viewers love it, but we won’t get into a bidding war with ITV.”

The BBC has come under increasing pressure to cut costs and axe the show, and in August (15) Culture Secretary John Whittingdale claimed the corporation was wasting licence payers’ money by entering into a bidding war with their rivals.

“The Voice has been very popular, but the fact it was contested between the BBC and ITV, the result was to force up the money paid for it,” John said. “It was going to be on free-to-air so should the BBC get into bidding wars? Is that a good use of the licence payers’ money?”

The Voice has recently seen a new line-up on the judging panel, with Paloma Faith and Boy George joining the talent search alongside Ricky Wilson and will.i.am.

© Cover Media

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph