Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 25 October 2014

Blunt settles phone-hacking action

James Blunt issued proceedings against News Group Newspapers last year

James Blunt has settled his legal action over phone-hacking for "substantial" damages.

Law firm Carter-Ruck said in a statement that the star "has successfully settled his claim against News Group Newspapers over the hacking of his voicemail by the News of the World".

James was contacted by officers at Operation Weeting last year "to inform him that he was a victim of phone-hacking", said the company.

Carter-Ruck said James "has always been security conscious, in the knowledge that he was in telephone contact with serving members of the armed services who were on operations in Afghanistan and Iraq".

It added: "He had even changed his voicemail Pin in 2006 and so was shocked and concerned to learn that he had been targeted by the News of the World and that his privacy had been violated."

The singer issued proceedings against NGN in September 2011.

Announcing the settlement, Carter-Ruck said NGN "has agreed to pay a substantial sum in damages to Mr Blunt together with his legal costs".

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest Entertainment News

Latest Music News

Latest Film & TV News

Latest Eating Out News

Horoscopes

Your Horoscopes by Russell Grant

Scorpio:

Don't deny yourself pleasure. It's important to indulge your sensual side. When you don't, you become irritable. Take this opportunity to splash out on new clothes. Soak in a scented bath. Get a massage. Enjoy a long nap. Do whatever your heart desires. If anyone dares complain you aren't working hard enough, maintain a stony silence. You're incredibly intimidating, especially when you're quiet. Anyone who has become too reliant on you needs to be more self sufficient.More