Belfast Telegraph

Charles Saatchi cautioned

Charles Saatchi has been cautioned following images published in a newspaper which showed him with his hands around his wife Nigella Lawson's neck.

The 70-year-old art mogul and his celebrity chef wife have been embroiled in a scandal after British newspaper the Sunday People published images of them arguing outside a restaurant in Mayfair, London.

Charles was seen grabbing his 53-year-old spouse around the throat and touching her nose during the dispute, which appeared to leave her in tears.

Yesterday, he released a statement claiming it was nothing more than a "playful tiff" that looked a lot worse in the pictures. He later attended a police station in the UK capital where he accepted wrongdoing.

"Officers from the Community Safety Unit at Westminster were aware of the Sunday People article which was published on 16 June and carried out an investigation," a police spokesman said.

"This afternoon a 70-year-old man voluntarily attended a Central London police station and accepted a caution for assault."

The art collector was apparently at the station for five hours. He left and headed straight for his home in the upmarket area of Chelsea, where he didn't talk to waiting press.

Charles arrived at the station with another man, who was reported to be part of his legal team.

After the story broke on Sunday, Nigella was seen leaving the family home with her 17-year-old son Bruno, from another relationship. She is yet to release a statement and although her husband has claimed she only left to escape scrutiny, her spokesman has hinted that isn't the case.

"We haven’t issued any statements or comment from Nigella other than to confirm that she has moved out of the family home," the representative said. "We haven’t added anything beyond that and do not plan to do so."

Yesterday, the photographer behind the images gave at interview to ITV News in which Charles' explanation for the incident was called into question.

"It wasn’t a game, from what I saw, it was more... if that was a game it was a pretty rough game," the photographer said.

"I couldn’t hear what they were saying. The ¬conversation and action became so worrying for the couple sitting next to them that the woman put her hands over her mouth in shock.”

© Cover Media


From Belfast Telegraph