Clooney highlights Sudanese crisis
George Clooney has described how he came under rocket attack during a visit to the volatile border area between Sudan and South Sudan.
The star warned of a humanitarian crisis in the region, where residents are taking refuge in the Nuba Mountains because of aerial bombardments.
George, just back from a visit to the area, described how he secretly travelled across the border and witnessed death and destruction in the African countries. He recalled how a nine-year-old boy had his hand blown off.
"What we're looking at is a real disaster," the actor told a small group of reporters before testifying at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing.
Travelling with John Prendergast, the co-founder of the advocacy group the Enough Project, George filmed the hardship for a video that was posted online shortly before his testimony.
After more than two decades of fighting, South Sudan seceded last July and became the world's newest country but violence has raged along the border since then.
George acknowledged a "misery fatigue" for Americans amid the war in Afghanistan and crises in Syria, Somalia and elsewhere as he tries to raise awareness through his star power about the suffering in South Sudan.
But he said that US President Barack Obama cited the shutdown of oil in the Sudan region as contributing to the rise in gas prices, and a resolution of the conflict could affect Americans at the pump.
Clooney planned to meet with Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday.