X Factor boss Simon Cowell said Frankie Cocozza has "blown a wonderful opportunity" after the teenage hopeful was axed from the competition.
Cowell said the 18-year-old had "no one to blame but himself" after he was booted out of the contest after breaking its rules.
Programme bosses are set to make an announcement about how Saturday's programme will pan out following Frankie's unexpected exit.
Cowell told the Sun: "Frankie's blown a wonderful opportunity. It's very sad, but he has no one to blame but himself."
Frankie's mentor Gary Barlow said he was "hugely disappointed" that the singer had "thrown away" the opportunity after he admitted he no longer "deserves" his place in the ITV show.
A show spokeswoman said the teenager was leaving "after breaking competition rules". She would not elaborate on which rule had been broken, but it is understood there was no police involvement before his departure.
His antics have already prompted an investigation by broadcasting watchdog Ofcom into the series. The young wannabe has been pictured on a string of nights out since finding fame in the contest. On Sunday's results show it emerged he had only slept for half an hour on Saturday night.
Frankie's father Frank said he was "absolutely heartbroken" for his son.
Frankie himself said: "I'd like to apologise to Gary, my fellow contestants and everyone who has voted for me, but, as of today, I will no longer be in The X Factor.
"My life during the show has gone out of control and my behaviour off stage has overstepped the rules of the competition. I no longer deserve my place in the show, so I am therefore leaving. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me."