Belfast Telegraph

Cruise denies abandoning Suri in $50 million suit

Tom Cruise has denied abandoning his six-year-old daughter Suri in a $50 million lawsuit.

The actor is suing US tabloid Life & Style for defamation, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Tom's lawyer Bert Fields announced the complaint had been filed in US District Court in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

The actor began filming sci-fi movie All You Need Is Kill in England shortly after his July divorce settlement with Katie Holmes.

The actress was awarded physical custody of Suri, who lives with her in New York City.

"Tom is a caring father who dearly loves Suri," Bert said in a statement to the media. "She's a vital part of his life and always will be. To say he has 'abandoned' her is a vicious lie."

Tom has been reluctant to take legal action, the lawyer claimed. But the star hopes to stop the publication from printing "malicious garbage" with a libel judgment.

"Tom doesn't go around suing people. He's not a litigious guy," he continued. "But when these sleaze peddlers try to make money with disgusting lies about his relationship with his child, you bet he's going to sue."

Bert said any money won from the lawsuit will be donated to charity.

© Cover Media

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph