Dermot O'Leary's show The Getaway Car 'axed by BBC'
The BBC reportedly have "no plans" to film any more episodes of Dermot O'Leary's motoring show The Getaway Car in a "huge shake-up" of the network.
Dermot O'Leary's The Getaway Car has reportedly been axed by the BBC after dismal ratings.
The 43-year-old presenter had been hoping to enjoy success with the motoring programme, which sees five teams of pairs test their relationships through car-based games. It had been hoped the show could be the primetime hit the BBC needed, but now it has been claimed the network have decided to axe it after viewers failed to take to the series.
"There were high hopes for The Getaway Car but it just didn’t get the ratings and is deemed not good enough for Saturday nights," a source told The Sun newspaper.
"There’s a huge shake-up after the BBC lost The Voice to ITV and bosses want new shows to compete with ITV on a Saturday night. Although they will show another series from footage filmed last year, there are no plans to film new episodes."
Dermot fronted the show alongside The Stig, from motoring show Top Gear, and it was aired before The Voice on Saturday nights. But despite the heavy publicity and anticipation for the series, it attracted just 2.4 million viewers - a long way below the average 5.6 million usually expected for that slot on a Saturday night.
The news is the latest in a long line of disappointments for Dermot, who has failed to find success with his hosting on anything other than The X Factor.
His previous offerings The Marriage Ref in 2011 on ITV, and Channel 4's Live From Space in 2014 were all axed after just one series.
According to The Sun, BBC bosses are hoping that Gary Barlow's new talent show Let It Shine, in which the musician will help search for stars to appear in a Take That musical, will have more success.
When contacted by the newspaper, a spokesperson for the BBC said: "No official decision has been made on whether the show will be recommissioned."
© Cover Media
Belfast Telegraph Digital