Downey Jr.’s son to enter drug diversion programme
Robert Downey Jr.’s son Indio will enter a drug diversion programme after pleading guilty to cocaine possession.
Charges against the 21-year-old will be dropped and his case dismissed if he successfully completes 90 days in the programme and remains clean and sober for 18 months.
Indio pleaded guilty to cocaine possession after his arrest in West Hollywood in June this year.
Iron Man actor Robert sat next to his son prior to him receiving the sentence in a Los Angeles court on Friday.
Revealing the sentence, judge Keith Schwartz said: "I know in life people always look up to superheros, but I think you might have contact or an inside as to one superhero - that's Iron Man."
Indio is also forbidden from associating with anyone who uses, buys or sells drugs.
Indio’s attorney Blair Berk revealed that Indio has already completed 70 days in a programme.
The sentencing came after Robert, who has also had a history of drug abuse, opened up about his son’s struggles with drugs in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine.
“He’s his mother [musician Deborah Falconer]'s son and my son, and he’s come up the chasm much quicker than we did,” Robert said.
“But that’s typical in the Information Age; things get accelerated. You’re confronted with histories and predispositions and influences and feelings and unspoken traumas or needs that weren’t met, and all of a sudden you’re three miles into the woods. Can you help someone get out of those woods? Yes, you can. By not getting lost looking for them.”
Robert previously said it was his father’s relationship with drugs that led to his own issues with substance abuse.
He added in the interview with Vanity Fair: “Pick a dysfunction and it’s a family problem.”
Indio has previously turned his hand to acting, appearing alongside his famous father in the 2005 movie Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
© Cover Media