Festival of Fools: Belfast set for a laugh this Bank Holiday weekend
The 14th annual Festival of Fools will take place in Belfast this Bank Holiday weekend.
Over 120 acts from all over the world will perform in the city from Friday, April 28 - Monday May, 1.
This year's festival kicks off at Writer's Square in the city centre with with a one-off performance from Catalonian acrobatic company Vol’e Temps.
Their Paper Worlds act is described as 'a fusion of dance, circus techniques, acrobatics and theatrical illusion'.
Events will be in full swing from then, with free shows taking place in Bank Square, Cornmarket, Cotton Court, Saint Anne’s Square and Writers’ Square.
Highlights for this year's festival include:
- The Flying Dutchmen: A classic comedy act who for thirty years have been travelling the world on their unicycles, hurling flaming torches and street performing madness.
- Jack Wise: Crowned the first ever Irish winner of the Street Performance World Championship! And busily wowing audiences around the world with magic, ventriloquism and sword swallowing. A hilarious roller-coaster show not to be missed!
- Mat Ricardo, the Gentleman Juggler: A unique act in the world of variety entertainment and renowned for his engaging, stylish and relaxed approach to everything.
- Abigail Collins: Comedy, cabaret and circus - This London girl can do it all.
- Lords of Strut: Seamus and Seantastic are 'boy band meets acrobatic athleticism' leading to a strangely disturbing interest in lycra.
Stickleback Plasticus: This comedy duo have been ostracised by the world of Competition Ballroom after an unfortunate incident with their fandango - Barry and Yvonne have since become known as the Outlaws of the Dance Floors.
Speaking about taking part in this year's festival, Pee Wee Murray from Stickleback Plasticus said: "We did the first ever Festival of Fools in Belfast, and it's always brilliant. The public make it as much as the performers and there are great crowds in Belfast.
"This is kind of the start of the season for acts like us and all the performers will agree with me that it is a joy to be a part of. We all look foward to it a lot because it brings us all together."
For a full listing of this year's acts, visit www.festivaloffools.com