Forsyth tells of quitting Strictly
Sir Bruce Forsyth has described the agonising decision which forced him to choose spending more time with his family over continuing his Strictly odyssey.
The television presenter, who announced this month he is stepping down as presenter of the hit BBC1 series Strictly Come Dancing after a decade fronting the show, told the Michael McIntyre Chat Show he got "tired doing live telly".
Speaking of the pressure of live television, Sir Bruce, 86, said: "It's the biggest show on television and I had to think very seriously about giving it up ... but I know it's better for me.
"It's better for me physically, I'll be able to spend more time with my wife and my family. I'll be able to have little breaks which are good.
"It's live every week, and if I made a mistake with the autocue, this is what I was saying earlier on, it's big news: 'Oh he's 86-years-old and past it'.
"I was getting all that which you don't need it. Who needs it?"
The all-round entertainer, who co-presented Strictly with Tess Daly and performed a one-man show at Glastonbury last summer, said he would continue to appear on the Christmas and charity Strictly programmes, but that live television had become "strenuous".
He said: "And I'll miss it ... I'll miss it like mad. I really will.
"It was a big decision, I'd rather do it this year than wait another year."
He said he had "no idea" who would be recruited to fill his shoes when the show returns in the autumn.
:: Sir Bruce was talking on the Michael McIntyre Chat Show, which is to be broadcast on Monday at 10.35pm on BBC1.