Frankie Boyle could be back in Belfast soon
Controversial comedian Frankie Boyle could be returning to Belfast, it has been learned.
Feile an Phobail's PR chief Joseph Nawaz said on Twitter that he was "looking forward to... outrage when he (Boyle) returns in October".
Feile organisers are on record as saying they are "deeply sorry for any hurt or offence that has been caused" by booking Boyle. Feile management undertook to take the views of groups representing people with disabilities into account when planning future events. Mr Nawaz said last night that there were reports that the comedian had been booked to appear at a commercial arena in Belfast but it had nothing to do with the West Belfast Festival.
The Feile organisation and critics Feile for All had said in a joint statement last week that "both parties are acutely aware of the difficulties that the event has created, and are committed to working together in future to ensure that Feile an Phobail remains fully inclusive and can be enjoyed in its fullest by all sections of the community".
Mr Boyle's agent could not be reached yesterday.
Meanwhile, top political PR man Scott Jamison, head of communications for the Alliance Party, weighed into the Boyle controversy, posting a series of tweets critical of the Belfast's Telegraph's coverage of the Feile event and of our reviewer Mairia Cahill. Following our story on Saturday about the gig, he tweeted: "RIP @Beltel Today's utter non-story of a front page is the final nail in your coffin, sadly. There were no UDA or UVF jokes either."
When contacted, Mr Jamison said his comments were made in a personal capacity.
"These exchanges were from a personal Twitter account, and I am happy enough to speak to Mairia in a personal capacity - which I did."