Garth Brooks concerts: Fresh legal challenge to stop ALL FIVE Croke Park gigs
Published 07/07/2014 | 20:44
Legal proceedings over the Garth Brooks concerts in Croke Park were formally lodged in the High Court today.
The injunction proceedings by one of the residents are aimed at preventing any of the shows, which have been scheduled for later this month, from going ahead.
They are being brought in the name of Brian Duff, whose solicitor is named as Anthony Fay, the solicitor acting for some residents of Croke Park.
The case is against Aiken Promotions (Ireland) Ltd and Páirc an Chrócaigh Teoranta (Croke Park Ltd).
The orders sought include injunctions preventing the holding of the three shows which had secured approval from Dublin City Council. Permission for two additional gigs was refused by the council.
No further details of the proceedings are available to date but the filing of the documents in the High Court Central Office suggests an application may be made either tomorrow or later this week.
- Lord Mayor seeking Brooks solution
- Garth Brooks - What a pity Northern Ireland can't host singer's axed concerts
- New hope for fans with last-ditch bid to save all Garth Brooks gigs in Dublin
Head of Croke Park Streets Committee Eamon O’Brien released a statement confirming that "a resident living in the Croke Park vicinity" instructed Fay and Company solicitors to commence legal proceedings against the concert promoter and Croke Park stadium.
"These concerts were arranged without any prior consultation, 400,000 tickets sold without a license and motivated by corporate greed," he said.
"They would greatly interfere with this person and the local communities quality of life including their privacy and property rights."
"It is also not appropriate for politicians to be intervening in licensing decisions taken by Dublin City Council. The last refuge of the citizen is the courts which is clearly the case here," he added.
Mr O'Brien also requested that the privacy of the resident be respected.
The development comes amid speculation that moves were underway to try and secure an agreement that would see three Garth Brooks gigs going ahead this month with two more to be staged next year.
The singer said last week he would perform the five concerts, for which 400,000 tickets have been sold, or none at all.
Meanwhile, Dublin City Council (DCC) Chief Executive, Owen Keegan released a media statement at this evening's plenary City Council Meeting at City Hall.
The statement outlines the council's event licensing procedure, the application for the Garth Brooks concerts and the reasoning behind the Council's decision.
"It was considered reasonable and appropriate that three of the events should take place and these have been licensed for the nights of Friday 25 July 2014, Saturday 26July 2014 and Sunday 27 of July 2014 subject to conditions," read the statement.
On behalf of the DCC, Mr Keegan said that he hoped Garth Brooks would "avail of the licence that has been granted and plays the three shows."
"Of course the City Council has sympathy for those ticket holders who purchased tickets for the shows on Monday and Tuesday and would hope that these two shows could be facilitated at some stage in the future."
The DCC welcomes the opportunity to discuss, in the future, changes to the event licensing system, including a possible restriction on the sale of tickets in advance of a similar license issue, read the statement.
But it clarified: "Dublin City Council has been consistent (since it became aware that tickets were being sold for five concerts) in informing the promoter and his agents that its main concern was the impact that five consecutive concerts would have on the local area."