Belfast Telegraph

Hoffman ‘quit AA meetings months ago’

Philip Seymour Hoffman supposedly quit attending local narcotics recovery meetings shortly before his death.

The Oscar-winning actor was found dead in his apartment last Sunday and reports suggest he may have fatally overdosed on heroin.

Philip took part in Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous meetings in his New York neighbourhood before his death, but according to an attendee he ceased coming two months ago.

"He used to come to meetings, I guess he was trying," Eddie Donohoe told Fox411 News. "Usually people don't come to meetings if they pick up, because people will know if they're high."

Apparently Philip was a favourite amongst the recovery community, and his presence was very much valued.

The star would often contribute his own discoveries as an addict to his peers at these events.

"He was regular guy, he was polite and well dressed, very sociable with people," Eddie recalled.

"He would come in daytime or evening. Last time I saw couple months ago. People surrounded him. He had his own clique (sic).

"He would speak. Sometimes he would share. He might raise his hand and say something, what he was going through that day.”

Eddie says many people in AA and NA are stricken with grief over the loss of Philip, who met his demise at the age of 46.

"Everybody [at the meeting] was sad about him dying," he said.

Last year Philip checked into rehab, fearing he was relapsing following a 23-year period of sobriety.

It is believed he passed away after suffering a heroin overdose as a needle was still in his arm when he was discovered, according to ABC News.

There are conflicting reports about the amount of drugs found in his apartment, with claims there could have been 20 empty bags of heroin, 50 full bags and 20 syringes.

An autopsy has been carried out on the star's body, although it is not known when the toxicology results will be made available.

Philip leaves behind his partner of 14 years, Mimi O’Donnell, and their three children.

© Cover Media


From Belfast Telegraph