Jeremy Clarkson: 'I'm not scuppering Chris Evans' Top Gear!'
Jeremy Clarkson has no regrets about being axed from Top Gear because he thinks the show would have become "tired and boring" if it had continued in the same format.
Jeremy Clarkson is hoping Chris Evans' revamped Top Gear will be a success.
The 56-year-old presenter was axed from the BBC show last year (15) after hitting a producer. Chris and former Friends star Matt LeBlanc were drafted in to host the new version of the motoring programme, but the duo have been blighted by reports of trouble behind the scenes.
However, Jeremy insists allegations that he has deliberately sabotaged the show are entirely untrue, as he gets paid if the show is recommissioned.
"What's very entertaining is that Chris Evans is having a very hard time at the moment as he attempts to put Top Gear back together again," Jeremy said at a talk in London on Tuesday night (03May16), according to the Daily Mirror newspaper.
"It's been suggested that I am behind it, that I am trying to scupper him. But I discovered the other day that every time it gets recommissioned I get paid, so that's a curious bit of BBC contract but I wish them all the very best."
Jeremy and his former co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May signed a deal with Amazon to front a new motoring show, which will air later this year (16).
And despite the way his time on Top Gear came to an end, Jeremy doesn't regret it because he thinks the programme would have become "tired and boring" if it had continued in the same format.
"To be honest, I think we would have stayed at the BBC and then the show would have got tired and boring, eventually we would have piloted it into a hillside and that would have been the end," he said.
"At the time it was all tragic but now we've been forced to reinvent ourselves and we're online, where you can do anything, like f**k a horse, it's forced all of us to actually concentrate on starting again.
"Now we're looking at losing Top Gear as a fantastic thing to happen."
© Cover Media