Jeremy Vine for Strictly
Jeremy Vine will be donning the sequins on this year’s Strictly Come Dancing.
The British journalist and author announced his involvement in the celebrity dancing show on Chris Evans’ BBC Radio 2 breakfast show on Monday. The 50-year-old is excited to be part of the hit BBC 1 show.
“How could I say no to the biggest show in TV? Yes, yes, yes and yes again to the sequins and the Samba! Now I just need to find some dancing shoes and identify my left foot,” he joked to Chris. “I am doing it for my two young daughters who jumped behind the sofa when I told them! It seems Dad on Strictly is more scary than Doctor Who!”
Jeremy’s children are 11 and eight years old and huge fans of the series, which has seen the likes of Caroline Flack, Abbey Clancy and Harry Judd lift the glitterball trophy.
The star added that he had signed on the dotted line three weeks ago and was now awaiting a medical examination under the code name Nemo.
While he is the first celebrity to be confirmed for the 2015 series, Jeremy told Chris that all the contestants had been given the names of Disney characters to keep their identity secret.
More announcements will be made in the weeks leading up to the first live show in September. Rumoured contestants include Robbie Williams’ wife Ayda Field, Coronation Street’s Antony Cotton and former This Morning hosts Richard and Judy.
Former Liberty X singer Michelle Heaton had been linked to the show, but last week she shot down the reports.
“I’m really sorry to disappoint you all but that’s just a rumour,” Michelle told OK! Magazine. “Even I read the article and I was like, ‘Really?!’ But no. The fact that I was even mentioned in the mix and in media made me happy and made me smile but I was never going to do it.”
© Cover Media