Joan Rivers docs don’t need to admit wrongdoing
A judge has ruled that doctors who treated Joan Rivers do not need to admit to any wrongdoing.
The comedienne passed away last September following complications resulting from a routine throat procedure.
Back in January, her daughter Melissa filed a civil lawsuit against the doctors who treated her at Yorkville Endoscopy. But now Page Six reports a judge has ruled that the medical officials do not need to admit to any wrongdoing at the outset of the court hearing.
The decision follows Melissa's request for the staff to acknowledge that Dr. Lawrence Cohen took a photo of the sedated comic shortly before her death, something the lawyers claim is in the clinic records. However Dr. Cohen and his colleague objected, and Justice Joan Lobis ruled in their favour. She added that the TV producer was seeking "to have defendants admit facts at the heart of the controversy.”
Melissa's lawyer Jeffrey Bloom told the outlet that the decision only meant that he would have to rework his line of questioning for each individual doctor who was present at the surgery.
Joan's daughter opened up about her decision to file the suit during an appearance on The Wendy Williams Show.
“I want to find out what happened," she said. "I need to know, I need answers. I'm angry."
The Fashion Police host entered the Upper East Side New York clinic in August last year to deal with a sore throat. But on September 4, she passed away aged 81.
To mark the first anniversary of her death, Melissa, posted a message on her mother's Twitter account.
"Today marks one year since my mother passed. This was the year of firsts: first holidays, first birthdays, first everythings without mom, without grandma," she began. "While it's been difficult. I've been amazed by the outpouring of love and overwhelming kindness we've received from family, friends, and people whose lives were touched by the woman they knew as Joan -- a woman we all miss so very much. (sic)"
© Cover Media