Joan Rivers’ doctor steps down
The doctor who performed the throat procedure that led to Joan Rivers’ death has reportedly stepped down.
Gastroenterologist Dr. Lawrence Cohen is said to have been asked to leave his position as medical director of Yorkville Endoscopy, which is located on the Upper East Side of New York City.
ABC 7 reports bosses at the practice don’t directly blame Cohen for the tragic death of 81-year-old Joan, who went into cardiac arrest during a routine surgery on her throat.
However, it was apparently Dr. Cohen’s decision to allow Joan’s personal ear, nose and throat specialist, who was not authorised to practice at the facility, examine the star that led to his departure.
Following Joan’s death, it was revealed the New York State Department of Health has launched a formal inquiry into the matter, focusing its attention on Yorkville Endoscopy.
“The state Department of Health is investigating the matter,” a representative told Fox411. “It’s a full investigation of the matter… Since it’s an ongoing investigation I can’t comment on what we’re looking at.”
Joan went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital after undergoing surgery at the clinic on August 28. The star was in critical condition when she first reached the medical centre and she was put on life support.
The comedienne’s official cause of death has so far remained unknown, with results from the initial autopsy proving inconclusive.
The Fashion Police host is survived by her daughter Melissa and grandson Cooper.
Announcing her mother’s tragic passing, Melissa said in a statement: “My mother’s greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon.”
© Cover Media