Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Jon Hamm to guest star on SpongeBob SquarePants

Published 25/09/2015

Jon Hamm
Jon Hamm

Mad Men star Jon Hamm is to voice a character in SpongeBob SquarePants, Nickelodeon has confirmed.

(Cover) - EN Showbiz - Actor Jon Hamm is going under the sea for a role in SpongeBob SquarePants.

The 44-year-old star finally won an Emmy at the ceremony last Sunday (20Sept15), after 15 unsuccessful nominations in the past. This year (15) he won Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series role as Don Draper on TV hit Mad Men.

In the wake of his win, kids' channel Nickelodeon has confirmed Jon will be joining popular cartoon programme SpongeBob SquarePants. The show is based on the title character and his pals in the undersea town Bikini Bottom, and the actor will be playing Don Grouper. A twist on his Mad Men alter ego, Grouper is described as “charismatic head ad executive of the ad agency Grouper, Goby & Koi".

“When Don’s in the room, everyone laps up his words like overpriced organic honey,” producers explained in a statement.

Character Mr. Krabs, voiced by Clancy Brown, turns to Mr. Grouper for help as he launches his Krabby Patties burgers as a frozen food line.

Jon is sure to relish holding on to his Mad Men character for a little longer. The programme, which also starred the likes of Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss, ended earlier this year, after seven successful series.

Speaking about his role backstage at the Emmys, the actor explained how much Don Draper means to him.

“Playing a character for that long is a blessing and a curse,” he said to reporters at the ceremony. “It’s a dream job in many ways and it doesn’t come without a cost. It’s a lot of mental and emotional baggage that gets torn through you and weighs on you after a while. I’ve always said it’s not like I’m a lead miner. It’s not like this is the hardest job in the world. But it’s not like anyone can do it either.”

© Cover Media

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph