Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Leonardo DiCaprio and Nina Agdal 'escape car crash unharmed'

Published 21/08/2016

Leonardo DiCaprio
Leonardo DiCaprio

Leonardo DiCaprio and his model girlfriend Nina Agdal were involved in a car crash in The Hamptons.

Leonardo DiCaprio and girlfriend Nina Agdal reportedly escaped unharmed after they were involved in a car crash in New York.

The Wolf of Wall Street star was driving with the 24-year-old model in The Hamptons when they were involved in a collision with a Mini Cooper on Saturday (20Aug16), reports.

An ambulance was called to the scene as a precaution, but those involved in the crash were not injured. A source told the website it wasn't DiCaprio's car, but belonged to his friend.

Eyewitnesses said the 41-year-old Oscar-winner made sure everyone was okay before leaving with girlfriend Nina.

The crash comes as DiCaprio abruptly dropped out of hosting a fundraiser for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton at his Hollywood Hills home.

Sources told The Hollywood Reporter the actor blamed work commitments in New York for having to cancel his hosting duties at the event on Tuesday (23Aug16).

The $33,400 (£25,540) per-guest event will now will be held at the nearby home of Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel. Co-hosts at the fundraiser are still expected to include DiCaprio's close friend Tobey Maguire and his manager Rick Yorn.

The move comes after the actor was linked in press reports to a $3 billion (£2.3 billion) Malaysian embezzlement scandal. Last month (Jul16), the U.S. Department of Justice filed to seize the assets of a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund called 1MDB, set up by the country's Prime Minister Najib Razak.

The fund allegedly backed Red Granite Pictures, the production company behind DiCaprio's The Wolf of Wall Street, and the star is mentioned as 'Hollywood Actor 1' in the complaint.

DiCpario's representative maintained it was a scheduling conflict that forced the actor to bow out of hosting duties, while Josh Schwerin, a spokesperson with the Clinton campaign, told The Hollywood Reporter any suggestion that the scandal is connected to DiCaprio dropping out was false.

"It's not at all true," Schwerin said. "If we could have had the event at his home, we would have loved to. He was gracious enough to find us a new host. We hope to do something with him in the future,"

© Cover Media

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph