Lil Wayne not dropping lawsuit
Lil Wayne will be re-filing his legal case against Cash Money in New Orleans, it has been revealed.
The rapper had filed a case against his record label in January, claiming that money had been withheld from the last two albums he had made with them. It was recently speculated that the 32-year-old had withdrew his accusations, but his lawyer confirmed on Tuesday that this was not the case.
“We gave them until April 6th to file an answer," Ron Sweeney told Rolling Stone. "[Cash Money] said they were going to challenge the venue, so at that point, it was a waste of time and money, so we all agreed that we would dismiss the action [in New York] and Wayne and [his record label] Young Money would re-file in New Orleans."
Lil Wayne signed to the company in 1998 but in December he took to Twitter to accuse the label and its CEO Bryan "Birdman" Williams of refusing to release his new album Tha Carter V. He went on to file his legal documents in New York where both Cash Money and Universal Music Group have offices, but despite the change of location, the underlying issue still remains.
“The claims previously asserted by Lil Wayne and Young Money LLC against Cash Money for substantial monies owed and breach of fiduciary duty have not been settled and will be prosecuted in Louisiana as expeditiously as possible," the star’s team added to the outlet.
During his Twitter rants in December, the Lollipop singer revealed how trapped he felt by his contract.
“I am a prisoner and so is my creativity,” he wrote. “Again, I am truly sorry and I don't blame ya if ya fed up with waiting for me and this album.(sic)"
© Cover Media