Lil Wayne ‘still in ICU’
Lil Wayne is reportedly still in the intensive care unit at a Los Angeles hospital as his condition has "not improved".
The hip-hop star was taken to Cedars-Sinai hospital on Tuesday night after suffering "multiple seizures". Although he was then released, he was reportedly found unconscious in his room by a bodyguard just hours later.
Wayne was taken back to hospital and it was claimed he was in an "unstable" condition.
TMZ has now suggested the rapper - real name Dwayne Michael Carter Jr. - is still in "rough shape" and the mood surrounding his health is "very serious".
"Wayne's condition has not improved enough to be moved out of the ICU... and he continues to be monitored very closely by staff at LA's Cedars-Sinai hospital," the site writes. "We know Wayne has been surrounded by friends and family since he was admitted to the ICU this past Wednesday... and we're told the mood around Wayne's bedside has been very serious."
Nicki Minaj and Drake are among the stars who are said to have visited the musician’s bedside.
TMZ alleged last week that the rapper was in an induced coma at the medical centre after a “Sizzurp binge” on Wednesday. The concoction, also known as Purple Drank, includes prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine as its primary ingredient and the star's stomach was allegedly pumped three times after doctors suspected he had overdosed.
Amidst conflicting reports about his health last Friday, Wayne took to Twitter to rubbish reports he was near-death, writing: "I'm good everybody. Thx for the prayers and love (sic)."
A Young Money publicist also played down the rumours, stating: "We can confirm Lil Wayne did have a seizure and that he is recovering."
Wayne suffered two seizures during a flight last October. He later revealed he was prescribed medication by his doctor to treat the condition.
"I don't want y'all to think I'm on nothing, man. I'm on seizure medicine, that's all,” he said in November.
Meanwhile, a medical expert has spoken out on Lil Wayne's condition. Dr. Michael Privitera has speculated about what could be the cause of the 30-year-old's recent health woes.
"Some people have unrecognised structural abnormalities in their brain or a prior history of trauma that is enough to create an electrical disturbance. But I'd probably say that if you were [Wayne's age] and you were coming into my office with your first seizure, in half of those people you won't find a reason," he said, before adding: "Drugs and alcohol are traditionally the precipitators of seizures."
© Cover Media