Lohan given time to consider deal
Lindsay Lohan has been told by a US judge she has two weeks to consider an undisclosed deal to end a felony grand theft case before an upcoming hearing that could send the starlet to jail for the fourth time.
Superior Court Judge Keith Schwartz told the Mean Girls star that he had told her attorney and a prosecutor how he would likely sentence her if she agreed to plead guilty or no contest in the case, but said he would keep the terms confidential.
The theft case is now bound for an April 22 preliminary hearing before another judge who will decide if there is enough evidence for Li-Lo to stand trial or to be sent to jail for violating probation in another case.
If Lindsay appeared again in his court, Schwartz said, he would know she was accepting his offer.
During her latest hearing, the actress signalled a desire to fight the charge involving a 2,500-dollar necklace by rejecting a prosecutor's plea deal that included a guaranteed jail sentence.
She has pleaded not guilty to stealing the necklace from Kamofie & Co, a jewellery store near her home in the beach community of Venice.
Lindsay's return to court came days after surveillance footage was aired of her trying on necklaces at the shop, which reported the necklace stolen on January 22.
The necklace was eventually given by a Lohan associate to police who had already obtained a search warrant for the Venice home of the actress.
In the past 10 months, Lindsay has been jailed twice and sent to rehab twice for probation violations.
If convicted of grand theft, the actress could be sentenced to up to three years in state prison. It's the first time she has been charged with a felony.