Belfast Telegraph

Lohan rejects plea deal in court

Lindsay Lohan has rejected a plea agreement offered by prosecutors in a grand theft case that included a guaranteed return to jail.

The Mean Girls actress appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom and told a judge she agreed to delaying her case until a preliminary hearing when prosecutors will present evidence against her.

It was all she said during the brief proceeding. The case was set for a preliminary hearing on April 22.

The exact terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Li-Lo was on probation in January when a Venice jewellery store accused her of taking a 2,500-dollar necklace.

Lindsay has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

If the actress is ordered to stand trial, Superior Court Judge Keith Schwartz has warned her that she may be sent to jail for violating her probation on a 2007 drunken driving case.

The star's return to court came days after surveillance footage was aired of her trying on necklaces at Kamofie & Co., which reported the necklace stolen on January 22. The necklace was eventually given by a Lohan associate to detectives, who had already obtained a search warrant for the actress' Venice home.

In the past 10 months, Lindsay has been jailed twice and sent to rehab twice for probation violations. A judge ordered her to undergo three months of treatment at the Betty Ford Centre.

While the theft case has caused more uncertainty for Lindsay, 24, it may go on to benefit others.

The owners of Kamofie & Co. announced that they will auction the necklace and donate the proceeds to an unspecified charity after the theft case is resolved. For now, the item remains in the custody of authorities.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph