Belfast Telegraph

Messenger joins Jump casualty list

Melinda Messenger has become the latest casualty on Channel 4's daredevil winter sports show The Jump, after being forced to drop out as a result of concussion.

The former model suffered a whack to the head as she was practising for a bobsleigh event and she has pulled out of the competition on medical advice.

Socialite Henry Conway recently withdrew after breaking a bone in his hand and reserve Joe McElderry won a place to replace him on the series being filmed in Innsbruck, Austria.

Celebrities have been learning a series of difficult and dangerous skills on the ice and snow and viewers have seen the two bottom-placed contestants each night fighting for their place in the competition by tackling a nerve-wracking ski jump.

A spokeswoman for the programme said: "After weeks of training for The Jump, Melinda Messenger has had to pull out of the competition after suffering from concussion following bobsleigh training a few days ago.

"It had been hoped that she would recover quickly enough to continue in the show but as she hasn't been able to train on medical advice so she sadly had to withdraw."

Investigative journalist Donal McIntyre has now been called up to replace her. Viewers have already seen him beaten by Joe to become Henry's replacement but he has now been given a lifeline and will join the show from tomorrow (Thursday January 30).

He said: "I'm tremendously excited about joining the show; it's my most dangerous mission yet."

Tonight's edition of The Jump will see the remaining four women - Anthea Turner, Sinitta, Kimberly Wyatt and Laura Hamilton - competing in the giant slalom ski race.

Until now the participants have been in all-male and all-female contests but when Donal joins from tomorrow, the entire field will be battling against each other.

Last night viewers saw Sir Steve Redgrave take part in the jump off but he retained his place in the show, seeing off former cricketer Darren Gough.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph