Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Minaj opening VMAs

Published 28/08/2015

Nicki Minaj
Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj has been revealed as the opening act at this weekend’s MTV Video Music Awards.

The 32-year-old singer will be taking to the stage at the Video Music Awards in Los Angeles on August 30th.

It will be the third time Nicki has performed at the ceremony, but the first time she has acted as the opener.

Nicki teased fans ahead of the announcement on Thursday.

Earlier in the day she poked fun at recent rumours she could be pregnant by posting a picture of a sonogram scan on Instagram.

However, instead of a baby in the scan, a miniature MTV Moonman award was seen in the picture.

Nicki’s opening gig was revealed after she opened up about her dissatisfaction surrounding her lack of nominations at the VMAs in a lengthy Twitter post earlier this year.

Nicki was furious her track Anaconda wasn't mentioned in the coveted Video of the Year category, calling out the decision online. Taylor Swift then thought the barbed comment was at her and hit back, causing a heated exchange.

Meanwhile, another musical act set to make a return to the VMAs stage is Britney Spears.

The 33-year-old singer had arguably the biggest moment of her career when she infamously kissed Madonna during a triple performance also alongside Christina Aguilera at the 2003 awards ceremony.

But Britney won’t be performing at this year’s awards.

Instead, she is apparently set to present one of the gongs at the bash.

Audience members at the ceremony will be treated to performances from stars including Justin Bieber, Pharrell Williams and Demi Lovato.

And there is also sure to be a host of surprises from host Miley Cyrus.

MTV President Van Toffler said he is hoping Miley will deliver as presenter of the show.

“It feels like the right combination of chaos, credibility and fun," Van said in an interview with USA Today.

© Cover Media

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph