No police action on Clarkson attack
Jeremy Clarkson will face no further police action over his attack on a Top Gear producer at a hotel, North Yorkshire Police said today.
The force said it had " completed its routine inquiries" in to the incident and would " not be pursuing this matter any further".
It said: " Now that all the interviews are complete, we have properly established that there is no need for further police action."
Oisin Tymon, the producer attacked by Clarkson, said last week that he did not want to press charges against his former colleague.
Mr Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 and had to take himself to hospital with his injuries. He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.
Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10 before it announced his contract would not be renewed.
The star received widespread public support - including from his friend, Prime Minister David Cameron - in the aftermath of the fracas while one million people signed a petition calling for the BBC to reinstate him.
But director-general Tony Hall said ''a line has been crossed'' and that ''there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another''.
It emerged last week that Clarkson will appear on stage with his former Top Gear colleagues, Richard Hammond and James May, later this year to fulfil a series of gigs planned before he left the BBC.
The gigs will be stripped of all BBC branding and content, and billed as Clarkson, Hammond and May Live.
That means the shows, which will take in venues as far afield as Australia, Norway, South Africa and the UK, will not be able to use clips from the show or feature The Stig.
The move is likely to spark rumours the three men intend to team up to continue their careers together after Clarkson's exit from the corporation, but sources close to the tour say it is just a matter of fulfilling commitments to the fans.
The future of the show's other two presenters - Hammond and May - is unclear, with both men's Top Gear contracts having run out.
Police are still investigating threats to kill Mr Hall, reportedly linked to his decision to axe Clarkson.
Mr Hall, former chief executive of the Royal Opera House, took over the £450,000 BBC post in April 2013 to replace George Entwistle, who left the corporation in the wake of the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.