Belfast Telegraph

Northern Ireland broadcaster Gloria Hunniford awarded OBE at Buckingham Palace

Northern Ireland broadcaster Gloria Hunniford has received an OBE.

The Portadown star was awarded the accolade by Queen Elizabeth II during an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on Friday.

She was honoured for her services to cancer charities.

After the Loose Women and Rip Off Britain star's daughter Caron Keating, also a TV presenter, died from breast cancer in 2004, she and her sons Paul and Michael set up the Caron Keating Foundation.

16686625-1.jpg
Broadcaster Gloria Hunniford is made an OBE by Queen Elizabeth II during an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London. (Yui Mok/PA Wire)

It gives grants to all types of cancer charities in the UK, financing professional carers, support groups and counselling services.

They also help to fund pieces of machinery for faster detection, drivers to take cancer patients to and from treatment centres and complementary therapies to help with pain control.

ROYAL Inv (47).jpg
Broadcaster Gloria Hunniford is made an OBE by Queen Elizabeth II during an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London. (Jonathan Brady/PA Wire)

Hunniford previously said she was "humbled" to receive the award, particularly because it was for her charity work.

She was nominated for the award by Action Cancer in Belfast.

Speaking after the ceremony, Hunniford was asked her thoughts on the scandal surrounding Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, to which she responded it was a "shame" more people did not speak out sooner.

The veteran presenter also said that at the start of her career if someone did or said something inappropriate it would have been dealt with quickly.

Weinstein is facing a string of accusations of sexual harassment and assault from some of Hollywood's biggest stars and is being investigated by British and US police.

Hunniford said she had never experienced anything like the allegations against the movie mogul and was "aghast at some of the stories coming out".

She added: "I don't know the details about Harvey Weinstein but I'm shocked about the number of people who are now coming forward.

"And I suppose if you take that to its conclusion it's a shame maybe more people didn't speak out earlier."

The 77-year-old, who this year celebrates 70 years working in showbusiness, said about inappropriate behaviour: "Way, way back when I started to work... we all just dealt with it, in a way, we just sort of dealt with it ourselves said 'oh stop it' and got on with it.

"But things are more serious these days and some of the stories coming out are extremely serious."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph