Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Prince died of accidental painkiller overdose - official

Published 02/06/2016

Prince
Prince

The Fentanyl in his system was "self administered" according to Midwest Medical Examiner's officials.

Prince's death was due to an accidental overdose of powerful painkiller Fentanyl, according to the late music icon's official autopsy report.

The report was released by officials at the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office hours after a law enforcement source told the Associated Press Prince died of an opioid overdose.

The official line suggests the music legend's death was "accidental" and the Fentanyl in his system was "self-administered".

Prince's weight is listed at just 112 pounds (50.8 kilograms) in the report.

The toxicology results surrounding the singer's death have not been released, and are not required to be under Minnesota law. As such, it is as yet unknown whether Fentanyl was the only drug in the singer's system at the time of his death on 21 April (16).

Fentanyl is a painkiller that is 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine, according to medical experts. It is believed the superstar was taking the drug to help him cope with a painful hip issue.

Side effects of the opioid include drowsiness, lightheadedness, fatigue, and difficulty breathing and urinating.

Following Prince's death at his Paisley Park compound near Minneapolis, police swarmed the estate and a law enforcement source told CBS News that prescription drugs were found in Prince's possession and at his home.

Sources previously suggested the singer had a problem with the painkiller Percocet, which began shortly after he underwent hip replacement surgery in 2010.

Prince's one-time fiancee, Sheila E., opened up about his hip issues during an interview with Entertainment Tonight shortly after his death.

"I mean, you think about all the years he was jumping off those risers," the singer recalled. "They were not low - they were very, very high - and to jump off that... (and) he had those heels on. We did a year of touring (and) for him to jump off of that - just an entire year would have messed up his knees... He was in pain all the time, but he was a performer."

© Cover Media

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph