Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Ricky Wilson quitting The Voice

Published 13/11/2015

Ricky Wilson quitting The Voice
Ricky Wilson quitting The Voice

Rocker Ricky Wilson reveals next series of The Voice will be his last.

Ricky Wilson will not return to The Voice following the upcoming season.

The Kaiser Chiefs frontman joined the TV talent show in 2013, but he's confirmed the upcoming 2016 series will be his final one in the famous red chair. The news comes after the BBC lost the rights to the programme, which was snapped up by ITV and will be aired on the channel from 2017.

"This is my last one anyway, yeah," he told Britain's The Mirror newspaper. "I was going to bow out gracefully. I don’t think ITV would want me. They would want to have a totally new show."

There has been a hot debate over whether the BBC should have put up a fight to keep the singing competition, after bosses at the station insisted they had no interest in entering a spat for the format with a commercial channel. Ricky suggests the BBC had every right to attempt to keep The Voice, especially as he believes wholeheartedly in the format.

"I think the argument about the BBC shouldn’t be competing with ITV is nonsense because you should always be competing, as that is the only way things get better,” he said. “Light entertainment is a huge part of people’s lives. The great British public, that is what they want on Saturday night – they don’t want to be force fed something educational, there is something so important about entertainment. It is equal to education.”

The Voice has been marred in controversy over recent months, starting when it was announced Sir Tom Jones had been axed from the panel. He had been with the show since it began in 2012 and was open about how upset he was with the way the end of his contract was handled.

"I said, 'I don't give a f***k,'" he told previously told Britain's The Sunday Times Magazine. "I enjoyed it, but if they don't want me any more, they can go f**k themselves.'"

He later clarified the remarks weren't aimed at the BBC, as he believes is was The Voice bosses who made the decision.

At the moment there is no word on whether the show's other judges, Boy George, Paloma Faith and, will make the move to ITV.

© Cover Media

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph