Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Rita Ora quits The X Factor

Published 10/05/2016

Rita Ora
Rita Ora

Rita Ora has quit The X Factor, leaving music mogul Simon Cowell the only judge from last year's (15) series currently expected to return to the panel of the show.

Rita Ora has become the latest judge to bow out from The X Factor.

Nearly a month after fellow judge Cheryl, formerly known by her married name Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, quit the TV talent show, the pop star confirmed she had given in her notice as well.

"I had a ball on @TheXFactor last year and will miss the team," she wrote on Twitter on Tuesday morning (10May16) following the publication of a report in The Sun newspaper about her departure.

Rita also tweeted Simon in a bid to prove their relationship has not been harmed by her quitting, writing: "@simoncowell can't wait to work with you again... I'll be round for dinner soon. Thank you for the experience & love X

"Losing Rita is a huge blow - she's one of the biggest stars in the country and Simon (Cowell) wanted her to return," a source had told the publication. "She was very keen to do the show but at the end of the day it didn't work out with her other commitments around the world in music and acting. It means we're going to have to go through the biggest shake-up in the history of X Factor, but maybe it will turn out for the best."

Rita, who is currently filming Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed, was only on the judging panel for one season after taking on the role last year (15). The move proved to be a successful one after her team member, Louisa Johnson, was crowned the champion of the series. Rita's X Factor gig also came after she served as a mentor on The Voice.

With Rita out of the picture, it leaves X Factor boss Simon Cowell as the lone remaining judge from the previous season. In addition to Cheryl, DJ Nick Grimshaw also announced his departure from the programme earlier this year (16).

Co-hosts Olly Murs and Caroline Flack also revealed they would not be returning to present the show.

The line-up for the next series of the show has been hotly debated over the past few weeks, with rumours that Louis Walsh and Sharon Osbourne could both return to the panel.

However, talks with Sharon have reportedly been put on hold after her recent marital troubles surfaced - her rocker husband Ozzy Osbourne moved out of their California home at the weekend (ends08May16), and a source told the Daily Mirror newspaper Sharon has put a possible X Factor gig "on the back burner".

© Cover Media

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph