Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Sony confirms Kesha is working on new music

Published 23/10/2016

Kesha
Kesha

Kesha is embroiled in a bitter legal battle with her former producer Dr. Luke, and has been prevented from bringing out new music.

Sony has confirmed Kesha is working on a new album.

The 29-year-old singer has been embroiled in a bitter legal battle with her former producer Dr. Luke, real name Lukasz Gottwald, since 2014, after she accused the Kemosabe label boss of emotional and physical abuse, a claim he denies.

Despite being allowed to perform at select events including this year's Billboard Music Awards by her label, Kesha has not been able to release new music while the case persists, as she is still contracted to Kemosabe, which is managed by Sony Music.

On Friday (21Oct16), Sony released a statement to BuzzFeed confirming the Tik Tok hitmaker was not only working on a new album, but it would be released soon.

"Creating a new album takes time, and everyone's goal is to deliver a high quality album consistent with Kesha's past releases. We hope to share exciting new music with Kesha's fans soon," music bosses said.

However, Kesha's lawyer Daniel Petrocelli is not convinced of Sony's claims, and told BuzzFeed the singer still has an uphill battle.

"Kesha has been trying for six months to record and release new music. Only in the last month, after our last court hearing, has any progress been made, but it is hardly enough. Kesha still has received no commitments on promotion, songs, or even a release date," he explained.

In early August (16), Kesha filed to dismiss her sexual assault lawsuit against Dr. Luke in California, though continues to pursue an appeal as well as other legal claims against the music producer in the New York courts.

At the time, Kesha's legal team said in a statement, "Kesha is focused on getting back to work and has delivered 28 new songs to the record label. We have conveyed to Sony and the label Kesha's strong desire to release her next album and single as soon as possible."

© Cover Media

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph