Spider-Man to shut down for weeks?
A spokesman for the troubled Spider-Man musical on Broadway has insisted that the show is still scheduled to open next week, as talk circulated that the production will shut down for several weeks and the opening will be put off for months.
Rick Miramontez, spokesman for Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark - which has a score composed by U2's Bono and The Edge - said: "We are not confirming or commenting on the recent reports". He said the 65 million dollar show is still scheduled to open on March 15.
Reports citing anonymous sources in the production have also claimed director Julie Taymor may already be on the way out, after struggling for months to revamp the show amid scathing reviews from some theatre critics.
A new delay would be the sixth for Broadway's most expensive show. The latest postponement would also make it ineligible for theatre's biggest prize, a Tony Award. Shows must open by April 28 this year to be considered for a Tony.
Spider-Man has already had the longest preview period in Broadway musical history. Many critics got fed up and reviewed it last month, largely panning the musical.
The stunt-heavy show was co-written by director Taymor and has music by U2's Bono and The Edge. Taymor is widely respected on Broadway for directing The Lion King, still a huge hit. She did not, however, write the script, which was based on the blockbuster Disney animated movie.
Spider-Man regularly sells out and is among the highest earners each week on Broadway.