Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

The Rock’s dog dies after mushroom poisoning

Published 30/09/2015

The Rock
The Rock

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson’s dog Brutus was put down on Monday night (28Sep15) after eating a poisonous mushroom, just two weeks after the actor saved him from drowning.

(Cover) - EN Showbiz - Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson’s dog was put down on Monday night (28Sep15).

The actor’s pet bulldog puppy Brutus fell ill after consuming a poisonous mushroom in the family’s garden.

The fungus was so incredibly toxic that it lead to the dog’s liver shutting down in a mere matter of hours.

After being put on life-support, Brutus’ condition worsened and the San Andreas star made the difficult decision to end his life after discussing the situation with his vet.

“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed,” Dwayne wrote on Instagram. “At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and [my girlfriend Lauren Hashian] had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace.

“As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.

“We’ll always love you Brutus. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime,” Dwayne finished his moving post.

Brutus’ death comes just weeks after Dwayne saved him from drowning when he fell into the deep end of the swimming pool in the Johnson family garden.

Dwayne posted a picture of himself holding Brutus and his other dog Hobbs, one in each hand, with a soaking wet T-shirt after diving into the pool to save the canine.

© Cover Media

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph