Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 10 October 2015

Underwood donates to disaster relief

Published 24/05/2013

Carrie Underwood
Carrie Underwood

Carrie Underwood has given a huge sum of money to the Red Cross to help the victims of the Oklahoma tornado disaster.

As a native of the state, which was devastated when a massive windstorm ripped through the outskirts of Oklahoma City, the singer wanted to support those affected by the tragedy.

With 24 people declared dead, hundreds injured and many homes destroyed, it has been described as one of the worst incidents to hit the area.

“I have watched the devastation in my home state of Oklahoma over the past several days with great sadness,” Carrie said in a statement. “With the help of my fans who attended my concerts over the past year, we can offer the Red Cross a little extra help in comforting those affected by the recent tornados.”

A spokesperson for Carrie confirmed the funds for the generous donation have been taken out of the proceeds of the country star’s most recent series of live shows - ironically called the Blown Away Tour.

A representative for the Red Cross said the money will help to deal with the immediate effects of the disaster and to focus on more long-term measures to rebuild the community.

“The impact of the tornados in Oklahoma and the Midwest was devastating and the road to recovery will be long for many families. Through the generosity of Carrie, the American Red Cross can quickly respond with shelter, food and comfort now, and with lasting help as they move toward recovery,” Neal Litvack, chief development officer for the Red Cross, said in a statement.

Carrie had been quick to express her sympathy as news of the tornado spread.

"Growing up in tornado alley, you always know what could happen," she wrote on Twitter. "It doesn't change how devastating it is when something does happen ... I'm thinking about and praying for my beautiful home state and the people in it tonight (sic)."

© Cover Media

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph