Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Victoria Beckham 'sad' about potential Spice Girls reunion

Published 03/10/2016

Victoria Beckham
Victoria Beckham

Victoria Beckham has elaborated on her objections to a Spice Girls reunion.

Victoria Beckham doesn't want the remaining members of the Spice Girls to perform the band's old songs when they reunite next year (17).

The legendary girl group were originally rumoured to be plotting a reunion for earlier this year (16) to mark the 20th anniversary of their first hit Wannabe, but fashion mogul Victoria and fellow former member Melanie Chisholm, who is still pursuing a solo career, have refused to return to the group.

The three remaining Spice Girls, Geri Horner, Melanie Brown and Emma Bunton, have instead reformed as a trio, dubbed GEM, an and the former Posh Spice has made it clear she wants the new line-up to perform new music rather than the hits that made the five-piece the world's biggest girl band.

"I do think they should sing their own material," she tells Britain's The Sunday Times Style magazine. "Because what we did in the Spice Girls was so special. If they sang Spice Girls songs I think I might be a bit sad."

When asked if she wishes her former bandmates luck she says, "Of course, as a new group, I do."

The star refused rejoin the group as she does not want to risk harming her multi-million dollar fashion empire.

"I think I learned a lot from the Spice Girls, most importantly how you can have everything one minute and then lose it the next," she adds. "I've been given a second chance, so I'm not going to lose it again."

The GEM trio will also be without Melanie, who feels a performance together at the London 2012 Olympics was the perfect ending to the Spice Girls' story.

"We played at the closing ceremony for the Olympics in 2012," she tells Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper. "That to me was where it (the Spice Girls) should have been laid to rest. Sometimes you just have to say no."

Last month (Sep16) Melanie Brown told the Daily Star the remaining three-piece would be making an announcement on their future plans "very soon".

© Cover Media

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph