X Factor auditions put on hold
No decision has been made about when The X Factor auditions will be rescheduled following today’s cancellation.
Julie Cowell passed away on Sunday aged 89 and the first round of auditions, which were due to begin today, have been postponed. However, there is no word as yet about when the sessions will be rescheduled.
“They were due to start tomorrow and carry on into Tuesday and Wednesday. Tomorrow's have been cancelled and we have not made any decisions beyond that,” a spokesperson for SyCo Entertainment told British newspaper The Mirror.
Simon, 55, had been due to preside over the auditions with his new judging panel; Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Nick Grimshaw and Rita Ora.
But following the death of his mum, the devastated music mogul had to cancel the plans to be with his heartbroken family.
“Today our beloved mum Julie passed away. Anyone who had met her would know what a truly special and kind lady she was. We are heartbroken and will miss her terribly, but she is now at peace," the family said in a statement.
Before Julie’s death, judge Nick had tweeted his excitement at heading back to his roots in the North West.
“MOOORRRNNIINNGG! It's X Factor eve! Day 1 of auditions tomorrow in Manchester hope my home city does me proud (sic)” he wrote on Twitter, before adding later, “My dad "will you have a card to hold up tomorrow with the scores on?" That's Strictly Dad. (sic)”
No further comment has been given by SyCo or ITV on when the auditions will be rescheduled.
© Cover Media