Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Zoella ‘frontrunner for The Xtra Factor’

Published 29/05/2015


Youtube sensation Zoella is reportedly in the running to host The X Factor spin-off show.

The Youtube sensation has eight million subscribers to her channel, which dwarfs The X Factor spin off show’s numbers. And the 25-year-old’s online skills have reportedly impressed show creator Simon Cowell, who wants to sign her up for this year’s series.

“There is serious interest in Zoella and Simon is keen to hear how she developed such a huge online following with young people,” a show insider told British newspaper The Sun. “Simon wants ideas that are different and is really thinking outside the box when it comes to shaking up the show.”

Previous hosts of The Xtra Factor have included Holly Willoughby, Caroline Flack and Olly Murs and most recently, Radio 1 DJ Sarah Jane Crawford. However, the 33-year-old quit the show after just one series and now Zoella, real name Zoe Sugg, looks set to be her replacement.

The beauty was spotted filming what appeared to be a segment for the X Factor in central London on Tuesday, although insiders denied it was connected to the show.

Zoella has started to make a move into mainstream TV lately, having appeared on BBC1’s Great British Bake Off for Comic Relief earlier this year. She also published a successful book, Girl Online, last year.

However, the vlogger isn’t the only name in the frame. Former Big Brother contestant and host Brian Dowling is also in the running according to the insider.

Simon has a lot of decisions still to make regarding the upcoming series of the singing show, as the judging panel on the main show is still to be confirmed.

While he will return, Louis Walsh has been let go but former Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Fernandez-Versini is expected to return.

Radio 1 Breakfast Show host Nick Grimshaw is a hot favourite to sign up while Louis said yesterday that American singer Lionel Richie was in contention, but insiders denied he was in the running.

© Cover Media

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph