Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Hamlet star Benedict Cumberbatch's phone film woes

By Sally Wardle

Published 10/08/2015

Appeal: Benedict Cumberbatch
Appeal: Benedict Cumberbatch

Benedict Cumberbatch has urged fans not to film his performance as Hamlet, describing it as "mortifying".

The star, who is playing the lead in the fastest-selling play in British history, said there was "nothing less supportive or enjoyable" than being on stage and seeing a "big red light" from an audience member's camera.

Cumberbatch made the plea to crowds outside the Barbican after his Saturday performance, which was reportedly halted twice due to technical difficulties.

He complained that restarting the play had been made even harder by the "blindingly obvious" filming of "someone in the third row". Cumberbatch said future offenders would be evicted from the show.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph