Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Bomber had been thrown out of home

Ulster born wife suspected an affair

By Andrea Clements

Published 25/07/2005

THE Ulster-born wife of one of the London suicide bombers threw her husband out of their home just two days before his part in the July 7 atrocity.

THE Ulster-born wife of one of the London suicide bombers threw her husband out of their home just two days before his part in the July 7 atrocity.

Former Banbridge woman, Samantha Lewthwaite (21), thought her husband Germaine Lindsay's increasingly bizarre behaviour was because he was having an affair, the bomber's mother has claimed.

His eight-months pregnant wife was so convinced that Lindsay, who detonated the bomb that killed 26 people at King's Cross, had left her for another woman that, even after the bombings, she did not report him missing to the police, her mother-in-law told the Mail on Sunday.

Samantha, who changed her name to Sherafiyah after converting to Islam aged 17, was born on December 5, 1983 and lived in Banbridge's Whyte Acres estate for two years before moving to England with her German-born father Andrew George, a lorry driver who had served in the 9th Lancers, and mum Elizabeth Christine - a Banbridge native.

Samantha met Lindsay, Muslim name Jamal, three years ago through their religion when both were at college in Luton and 15 months ago she gave birth to his son. She is now in protective police custody.

The details of Lindsay's last days were revealed in an interview with his mother Maryam McLeod Ismaiyl who, fearing reprisals, is in hiding on the Caribbean island of Grenada, where she has been living for several months.

Samantha told her the pair had had a row, she said, adding: "She told me he had lost his job and that she had discovered he'd been sending text messages addressed to a girl.

"In Islam you can take a second wife but his wife was eight months pregnant. I know men do stray sometimes when their wives are expecting, but I couldn't imagine Jamal doing that, especially as they already had a 15-month-old son. I said there had just been a bombing and maybe he hadn't come home because he'd been hurt.

"She said, 'That's not my worry. After I discovered the messages I told him to think about what he wanted to do, that he needed to sort his head out and he packed some clothes in a rucksack and left'.

"I begged her to call around and she finally reported him missing a week later, just hours before he was named as the fourth bomber."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph