Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Harding Memorial Primary School celebrates 100 years

Staff in 1931
Staff in 1931
1947 Football team
1947 Football team
Pamela Ballantine

It all began.... due to a local need for a larger Church and school Canon Harding approached Lord Arthur Hill about a plot of ground on the Cregagh Road.

The Select Vestry of Willowfield Parish gave its support and the ground was secured. The first building open on the site was Dromore Street Hall on Saturday 25 February 1911 to be used for Divine Worship for Parishioners residing on the South side of the Parish

Willowfield National School No 2 was opened officially on 5 April 1913. The school building consisted of two storeys, with 4 classrooms on each storey. The first Principal was Mr D. Moore

Canon Harding was rector of Willowfield Parish from 1900-1922, his interest in the welfare of children led to his last great work the building of Willowfield No2 after his death in 1922 the school was renamed- Harding Memorial Primary School in his Honour

The current school building remains as a 2 storey building and has 17 classrooms. The school is well equipped for the 21 Century with each pupil having use of an interactive whiteboard in their lessons.

To celebrate our Centenary the school is inviting all past pupils, teachers, friends and local community to join them at the May Fair on Saturday 18 May.



 

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife Galleries

More

Latest Food and Drink News

Latest Motoring News