X Factor Cowell and Stieg Larrson books top abandoned list
X Factor judge Simon Cowell's biography is the book most often left behind in hotel rooms, according to a survey released today.
His Britain's Got Talent co-stars Ant and Dec did not fare much better either with their joint autobiography Ooh! What A Lovely Pair: Our Story in second place.
The third most-discarded read was a slightly more serious tome - Business Secretary Vince Cable's book about the world economic crisis.
Meanwhile, all three books in Swedish writer Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy of novels made the top-10 list.
Researchers questioned the managers of 452 Travelodge hotels for the survey.
A spokeswoman for the hotel chain said more than 20,000 books were left behind in its rooms in the last 12 months with an entire suitcase of Mills & Boon romances found dumped in a Leeds hotel.
She said: "Interestingly, this year more thrillers have been left behind in Travelodge hotels than ever before.
"Celebrity biographies have maintained their position within the forgotten books index but we have seen a big decline in 'chick-lit' books being left behind by customers. It seems Britons want a thrilling mystery in their lives."
:: The top 10 most abandoned books in full
1. Simon Cowell: The Unauthorised Biography by Chas Newkey-Burden
2. Ooh! What a lovely Pair: Our Story by Ant & Dec
3. The Storm: The World Economic Crisis And What It Means by Vince Cable
4. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
6. Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer
7. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
8. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
9. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest by Stieg Larsson
10. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert