Need luscious locks at last minute? Just keep it simple
Big plans for your Christmas hairdo, but little time to make it happen? There's no need to get in a tangle.a Tina Haynes reveals the tricks to radically transform your barnet in a flash
Don't panic if your hair's fallen flat at 5pm and your Christmas party kicks off at seven sharp. Whether you want a glam updo or tousled waves, it's perfectly possible to transform your locks in minutes - no salon appointment required.
"Just keep it simple and classic and you can't go wrong with a quick but glam party hair style," says Efi Davies, Toni&Guy international artistic director.
Arm yourself with a brush and stopwatch, and follow these steps for party-ready hair in a flash.
Even the drabbest ponytail can be taken into disco ball territory with a statement accessory - just add jumbo hairslides or a blingy headband.
"Accessories are a must to take updos and ponies from everyday to major glamour upgrade," Efi says."If you're wearing your accessory with a low pony, backcomb the tail to create width, and change texture from day to night."
You can also give hair extra oomph in seconds with a hair powder, lightly sprinkled into roots. The grittiness will give your statement accessories added hold, too.
Hair kit: Fudge Urban Powder Styler (above), currently reduced to £3.98 from £6.99 (Superdrug.com); Toni&Guy Flower Girl headband, £15 (store.toniandguy.com); Topshop Mega Embellished Hair Slides (below), £14 (topshop.com).
Cheat the look of a Brigitte Bardot-esque blow-dry by arming yourself with volumising potions and a waving wand.
"Prep the day before is key, so you're working with day-old hair for hold," Efi advises.
"Wash your hair the night before and apply a volumising mousse, so it embodies that ready-to-dry style before you've even started with your wand or tong."
Pushed for time on party day? Just take larger sections of hair and wave randomly. The end wave result will be loose and tousled, rather than corkscrew and uniform.
Hair kit: label.m Volume Styling Kit (above right), currently reduced to £28.20 from £38.70 (labelm.com); Duck & Dry Blow Dry In A Bottle Mega Volume Spray (above), £20 (duckanddry.com); Cloud Nine Waving Wand (right), £99 (cloudninehair.com).
If your hair's been down all day, switch up the mood instantly by changing to an updo for after-dark. Even shorter length hair can go wild with the grips.
"A low updo, like a wispy hair bun, can be done in a matter of minutes," Efi explains.
"Add extra drama and softness by exaggerating wisps of hair escaping on either side, which will give your hair a romantic vibe."
Hair kit: Dafni Go portable hairstyling brush (left), £99.95 (uk.dafni.life); Superdrug Hair Grips x30 (above), £1.39 (Superdrug.com); Windle & Moodie Light Shine Spray (right), £22 (windleandmoodie.com)
Make your hair transformation easier with these pro cheats from Toni&Guy's Efi Davies:
- Always aim to wash your hair the night before. This saves time and your hair will be way easier to manage.
- Pick a party-proof do. If you're going for 'up' hair, a tight and sleek style is more likely to stay in place.
- If you don't like updos, go for loose waves or a textured ponytail - these always look better when they're messy.
- Using bobby pins? Mist them first with hairspray and you'll get a secure grip to help keep hair in place. Criss-crossing them to form an 'X' will also give you stronger hold.
- Set your style with hairspray, but keep the mist an arm's length away so it's evenly distributed.
- Cheat party-ready hair with Toni&Guy's blow-dry menu for bespoke styling. Visit toniandguy.com/salon-finder to find your nearest salon.