The 10 best SPF foundations to keep you cool when the sun shines
Stay flawless in the current heatwave while protecting your skin with these multi-tasking products. By Sarah Young.
1. Dior Skin Forever Fluid Foundation SPF 35, £33 for 30ml (Boots, Debenhams). If you're looking for an ultra-lightweight foundation that promises to even out your complexion while offering protection then this is the one for you. The super-soft, liquid formula blends seamlessly with the skin and the promise of 16-hour coverage is spot-on. It melts into the skin with a luminous demi-matte finish that gives a gentle, natural radiance.
2. MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF 30, £26 for 30ml (MAC Cosmetics). MAC Cosmetics is a well-known make-up artist kit staple and this foundation proves why. While it doesn't offer the most coverage it's definitely buildable and the virtually weightless feel melts into the skin easily. Oil-free but surprisingly hydrating, this is a great choice for tired, dry skin in need of an instant pick-me-up.
3. Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Foundation SPF 40, £40 for 30ml (House of Fraser). This super-silky formula from Bobbi Brown has the highest SPF of all the foundations, making it ideal if your skin burns easily or you're looking to prevent future damage. With anti-ageing ingredients, this leaves skin feeling firmer. A great option to give skin a glow without it feeling greasy.
4. Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Perfectly Satin 24hr Makeup SPF 15, £23.20 for 30ml (Feel Unique). This foundation adjusts to control excess oil throughout the day and promises to last through heat and humidity. The formula is fairly thick and creamy and takes some working into the skin but as a result provides great coverage and finish.
5. Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Foundation SPF 25, £36 for 30ml (House of Fraser). Almost completely invisible, this foundation glides seamlessly creating the feeling of a second skin. The formula is light but packs a punch, leaving the appearance of fine lines and blemishes noticeably blurred. On top of the high SPF, expect medium coverage which conceals without looking cakey.
6. Guerlain Parure Gold Foundation SPF 30, £56 for 30ml (House of Fraser). While this foundation does sit at the upper end of the market it's most definitely worth investing in. Infused with gold pigments and a collagen-boosting ingredient, the formula diffracts light to reduce the appearance of dark spots while revitalising the skin. It wears evenly and is easy to blend with a natural, light and radiant finish.
7. Burberry Skin Cashmere Foundation SPF 20, £35 for 30ml (Feel Unique). This soft-matte foundation has a creamy texture which melts into the skin, leaving it with a radiant glow. It has amazing staying power and diminishes the appearance of imperfections almost instantly with a soft, velvety finish.
8. Benefit Big Easy BB Cream SPF 35, £28.50 for 35ml (Boots, Debenhams). If you suffer from irritable skin that's crying out for a little TLC then this liquid-to-powder formula is the one for you. Designed to soothe and comfort the skin, this moisturising cream-like foundation evens out your skin tone and conceals imperfections. Hydration is key here and the formula is super-nourishing.
9. Giorgio Armani Maestro Glow Nourishing Fusion SPF 30, £40 for 30ml (Debenhams). This new version of the Maestro Fusion make-up offers a completely fresh sensation to wearing foundation. Now it is made up of a high concentration of oils. The formula works to leave the skin feeling highly nourished with an immediate moisturising effect and also work to improve overall skin tone with continued use.
10. Vichy Dermablend Fluid Corrective Foundation SPF 35, £12 for 30ml (Look Fantastic). Enriched with glycerin and plant oil, the formula delivers high coverage and is ultra-easy to blend into the skin. Correcting imperfections almost seamlessly, this foundation still manages to provide a barely-there finish and can be built up for desired coverage. Vichy proclaims that this is a product to be used by men and women, all ages and every skin type "a great all-rounder, especially if you struggle to find a foundation that works for you".
For flawless coverage, incredible staying power and a boundless shade range, Dior Skin Forever takes the top spot. But for sheer indulgence we have to give Giorgio Armani's Maestro Glow a mention, too. If you struggle with troublesome skin, we'd recommend Vichy's offering which promises to conceal, preserve and protect.