Belfast Telegraph

Home Life Features

Why home can be where the hurt is for curious little ones

As Child Safety Week approaches, Lisa Salmon outlines some of the hidden, and not-so-hidden, household dangers

Road safety is uppermost among parental concerns, but the home is less likely to be seen as a potential source of danger for children.

Yet every year, an average of 60 children aged under five in the UK die from injuries suffered in and around the home, compared with about seven who die on the roads.

Cars are an obvious danger, yet our supposedly safe homes are littered with potentially risky items and places. To mark Child Safety Week (June 5-11) the Child Accident Prevention Trust has highlighted some of the hidden and not-so-hidden dangers in the home.

BURNS AND SCALDS

Burns and scalds are often linked to exploratory behaviour as a child's mobility increases, and six toddlers are admitted to hospital every day because they've been badly burned.

Babies are also at high risk of serious burns because their skin is very thin. The trust warns that a cup of tea could be the most dangerous thing in your lounge, as any hot drink can scald a baby even 15 minutes after it's been made, and they can easily be knocked over or grabbed by little fingers.

Children can also get nasty burns from ovens, kettles and saucepans. Remember, they can climb on chairs and counters, and may often reach higher than you think.

Young children can find matches, cigarette lighters and candles fascinating, so keep them out of their reach and sight. H air straighteners can burn 15 minutes after they're unplugged, so store them away safely.

BLIND CORDS

At least 30 children have died in the past 15 years after becoming entangled in blind cords. It's harder for children to free themselves if they get tangled, and they suffocate more easily when their necks are caught in looped cords or chains. It can take just 15 seconds for a toddler to lose consciousness if their necks become tangled in a blind cord, and just two or three minutes for them to die.

The trust advises parents to tie up blind cords out of reach of children, make sure there's no furniture nearby for them to climb on to gain access to them, and to replace the blinds with a safer cordless, concealed or tension cord variety.

BATH TIME

Put cold water in children's baths before hot, and make sure the water's the right temperature by dipping your elbow into it. Babies can drown in a few centimetres of water, so never leave them alone, not even in a bath seat, which is not a safety device.

BLIND CORDS

At least 30 children have died in the past 15 years after becoming entangled in blind cords. It's harder for children to free themselves if they get tangled, and they suffocate more easily when their necks are caught in looped cords or chains.

It can take just 15 seconds for a toddler to lose consciousness if their necks become tangled in a blind cord, and just two or three minutes for them to die.

The trust advises parents to tie up blind cords out of reach of children, make sure there's no furniture nearby for them to climb on to gain access to them, and to replace the blinds with a safer cordless, concealed or tension cord variety.

ACCIDENTAL POISONING

Everyday painkillers and other medicines are the most common way for young children to be poisoned. Keep them out of their reach.

Less obvious than medicines but just as dangerous to children are squeezable, brightly coloured liquitabs (used in washing machines and dishwashers). These are attractive to babies and small children, but the concentrated detergent can be harmful if swallowed.

NAPPY SACKS

Babies and toddlers can suffocate or choke on nappy sacks, so parents are advised not to keep them in prams, and to buy them in a roll if possible.

BUTTON BATTERIES

If a button battery - the small, round batteries found in lots of toys and gadgets - gets stuck in the gullet, it can burn a hole through the throat and lead to serious internal bleeding and even death.

Batteries in children's toys are covered by safety regulations and should be enclosed by a screw and secured. Keep products with batteries out of reach if the battery compartment isn't secured. Avoid toys from markets or temporary shops as they may` not conform to safety regulations, and teach older children that button batteries are dangerous.

BE VIGILANT

Trust chief executive Katrina Phillips warns that parents need to be vigilant and look at their home through the eyes of a child.

"Children are hugely curious, and play with everyday products in ways manufacturers never intended," she says."Get down on your hands and knees for a child's-eye view of your home.

"Parents tell us their home is the safest place for their child, and they know what their child will do next," she says. "But home hazards aren't always obvious, and young children develop so quickly they can catch us out."

This year's Child Safety Week theme is, Safe Children: Sharing Is Caring, and the trust is asking people to share their experiences - not just about accidents, but the practical things they do to prevent them.

For more on child safety, visit www.capt.org.uk

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph