The 10 Best vodkas
1. Belvedere Unfiltered £43.99, thedrinkshop.com It divides drinkers, Belvedere – some find it too subtle. But there is much to like in this diamond rye vodka which doesn't go through a final filtration.
2. Konik's Tail £36.99, selfridges.com Elegant is the word that springs to mind here; delicate and almost rich, too. Flavourwise it runs the gamut from spelt nuttiness to an almost creamy vanilla.
3. Wyborowa £13.99, simplywinesdirect.co.uk They've been making this stuff for several hundred years in northern Poland. They seem to have it down to a tee.
4. Luksusowa £16, thewhiskyexchange.com Potato vodka spells harshness and zero flavour, right? Well, not with Luksusowa, which manages to be very good indeed.
5. Vestal Polasie £26.50, harveynichols.com A potato vodka named after the region it's made in eastern Poland, with a silkiness to it which is unusual in spud-based vodka. It is dense with flavour.
6. Beluga £34.95, thewhiskyexchange.com This is the best-selling posh vodka in Russia - and no surprise. It's a good drink, as soft and creamy as vodka can be.
7. Stolichnaya £26, houseoffraser.co.uk This is not quite nectar-of-the-gods standard, but it's a good solid vodka, which has a low-key flavour - making it just the thing for mixing up into cocktails.
8. Zubrowka £19.99, waitrosewine.com I can hear the incredulity, "a flavoured vodka, really?". Yes, actually, this Polish rye number, which is flavoured with subtle but tasty bison grass is a star.
9. Chase Smoked £45, harveynichols.com This is likely to infuriate purists, but it's interesting. Made in Herefordshire by the chap behind Tyrrells Crisps, it's the only oak-smoked vodka around.
10. Grey Goose £33.99, tesco.com It's a strange one, Grey Goose, an Eastern European drink made in France. But that shouldn't put you off the wheat-based vodka, as it's actually rather well done.
Whether you’re fixing yourself a strong martini or simply serving it over ice with lime, we’ve got the pure spirit for the job...
>> Click on More Pictures to launch our gallery
Leave your comments and suggestions below
COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? firstname.lastname@example.org
comments powered by Livefyre.
Most Read in this section