Bertie Ahern's nephew died from cocktai of alcohol and drugs
A cocktail of alcohol and anti-depressants killed former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern's nephew Dylan.
The 37-year-old died suddenly last November after a night out in Copper Face Jack's nightclub with a friend.
The son of former Lord Mayor and city councillor Maurice Ahern was found dead on the floor of his bedroom by his friend the next afternoon.
A keen runner and council clerical officer, Dylan was in perfect health when he died.
His inquest has heard he had been upset in the months after he broke up with his girlfriend but had been in "great form" on a night out with a workmate just hours before his death.
Toxicology results from a post-mortem examination on his body showed the presence of alcohol and Dothiepin - an antidepressant drug.
The cause of death was found to be central nervous system toxicity and an inquest jury at Dublin County Coroner's Court returned a verdict of "death by misadventure".
Dylan was one of six children, well known in the Dublin Central constituency where he had canvassed for both his father and uncle during a series of election campaigns -- most recently last June.
Dylan grew up in Malahide and worked in the sports section of Dublin City Council.
According to inquest documents, Dylan was found by his flatmate and best friend Colin McGhee at their apartment at Temple Gardens, Santry, in November of last year.
Mr McGhee, a recruitment agency director, told gardai how Dylan had been in "very poor form" for the previous 18 months and had nowhere to stay. He had broken up with his girlfriend at the time.
In his Garda statement, Mr McGhee (37) said he "took Dylan in and gave him a home". He described his flatmate as a "binge drinker" and said he had been drinking heavily recently.
He found him dead on his bedroom floor at 1pm on November 21 last year.
Dylan's workmate Annette Cleary told gardai he had been in good form the night before in Copper Face Jack's.
"We were drinking and dancing and having a good time," she told gardai. "We didn't stay together the whole time. Dylan was looking for a girl so he went off on his own."
The last time she saw him was at 3.30am and she left alone.
"Throughout all day Friday in work and the pub Dylan was in great form," Ms Cleary said in her statement.
When gardai responded to Mr McGhee's 999 call, they found Dylan's body in the apartment hallway, where he had taken him to try to resuscitate him. Garda Tanya Shinkins said she saw no suspicious circumstances and a doctor pronounced Dylan dead at the scene at 2.15pm.
An autopsy report noted that Dylan had been "apparently suffering from depression".