Fury over stalled Bloody Sunday murder inquiry
Families of victims killed in the Bloody Sunday shootings are angry after it was revealed that none of the soldiers who shot their loved ones have been interviewed – 14 months after the PSNI murder inquiry was launched.
It was revealed during a meeting with PSNI detectives leading the inquiry, solicitors and family members to determine what progress had been made.
Over a year ago, PSNI Chief Constable Matt Baggott said that the murder investigation would be carried out and that it would be "lengthy and complex" and was expected to last up to four years.
But 14 months on and almost 42 years since the shootings, family members of victims are becoming increasingly despondent over the lack of progress.
Kate Nash's brother William was killed and her father Alex was injured in the shootings and she said she believes Lord Saville didn't use the power he had.
"I feel that all of this is stalling tactics. To be honest I believe that even the Bloody Sunday inquiry, the second inquiry, was stalling tactics because Lord Saville had powers which he could have used but he didn't use.
"It tells me there is no intent here to prosecute soldiers."
Relative Linda Nash added: "I will not be back near the police or any part of this investigation."
It is understood that it was only in the past few weeks that essential finances were made available for the investigation and only now have 12 PSNI detectives been assigned to the case.
Fears have also turned to the fact that as time goes on this brings added difficulties of locating witnesses and soldiers.
John Kelly's brother also died in the shooting. He said: "A lot of people are dying, maybe some of the soldiers are dead. It all boils down to the same old thing, it's a waiting game again."
Bloody Sunday families' lawyer Peter Madden said: "These are murder suspects and in any other case the arrest would be made.
"The soldiers are on the long finger and probably off the hook for now."
On January 30, 1972 during a civil rights march in Londonderry, 13 civilians were killed when soldiers from the Parachute Regiment opened fire. The day became known as Bloody Sunday. A 12-year inquiry into the killings by Lord Saville found that they were unjustified and none of those killed posed a threat when they were shot. The findings were released in 2010 and over a year ago Chief Constable Matt Baggott said a murder investigation, which is expected to last four years, would be launched. Fourteen months on, it has been revealed that none of the soldiers have been interviewed by the PSNI.