Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Coroner in warning after ecstasy death

By Lesley-Anne Henry

Published 04/10/2008 | 11:58

A Northern Ireland Coroner last night warned of the devastating consequences of taking recreational drugs.

Speaking at the inquest of a 26-year-old man who died after taking ecstasy, Brian Sherrard told of the “terrible dangers” concerned with the consumption of illicit narcotics.

Gordon Neill, from Mullacreevie Park in Armagh, died from Methylenedixoymethylamphetamine (MDMA) toxicity on October 6, 2007. The father of one had taken a lethal dose of the illicit drug and had gone to a party in a neighbour’s house.

Toxicology reports revealed that levels of MDMA in his blood were “well in excess” of those usually associated with recreational use of the drug and had disturbed his heart rhythm.

Mr Sherrard said: “This is a stark reminder of the real dangers of taking ecstasy.”

He added: “Whenever people take these types of drugs nobody knows what can happen next.”

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph